- Promote the good practice, development, study and application of geostatistics in the mining, petroleum, environment and related fields.
- Increase the awareness and status of geostatistics in its various fields of application.
- Promote co-operation and fellowship among the geostatistical community in Australasia.
- Provide a forum for the exchange of ideas among membership of the Association on technical and professional matters.
- Print or publish (including by electronic means) any periodicals, newsletters, journals, books or leaflets that the Association may think desirable for the promotion of its objectives.
- Organise and promote lectures, meetings, symposia and other activities to further the professional development of membership.
- Promote liaison of the Association and its membership with their colleagues internationally.
- Foster and develop good relations and cooperative efforts with other relevant professional and industry bodies both locally and internationally in order to further the objectives of the Association.
- Foster and develop good relations and cooperative efforts with universities currently teaching or having research efforts in the field of geostatistics (or closely related fields) both locally and internationally in order to further the objectives of the Association.
- Recognise outstanding contributions to the Association or to the promotion or development of geostatistics by granting awards.